Texas DSHS Guidelines For Reopening Retail Businesses
Governor Abbott’s Executive Order GA-16 allows retail businesses to reopen this Friday in what he calls a “to go model”. This means retail businesses can reopen for curbside pickup, delivery to a person’s doorstep or delivery by mail.
However, GA-16 requires strict compliance with the guidelines established by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) found at www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus.
A summary of the DSHS guidelines for reopened services:
- All employees must be trained in environmental cleaning and disinfection, hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.
- Before entering the business, all employees must be screened for cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, fever ≥ 100°F and close contact with a person tested positive for COVID-19. Any employee meeting any of these criteria should be sent home.
- Upon entering the business, all employees must wash or sanitize hands.
- All employees must wear face coverings.
- All employees must maintain at least 6 feet separation between one another.
- Customers may not enter the business.
- Payment should be done over the phone or internet if possible.
- Purchased items should be delivered to the back seat or trunk of customers’ vehicle, customers’ doorstep or delivered through the mail.
- Physical contact with customers should be minimized.
- Employees must wash or sanitize hands after each interaction with a customer and disinfect any item that came into contact with the customer.