Arrow Exterminators Recommends Taking Action to Guard Against This Notorious Pest
ATLANTA (May 08, 2020) – Spring is already in the air! Warm weather is moving in to stay and residents in our area will be heading outdoors to enjoy the longer days and summer months to come. There are certainly many things to look forward to this time of year, however, pesky mosquitoes are not one of those things.
“As the temperatures continue to rise, mosquito populations boom and the recent rains have created the perfect breeding ground for another banner year,” said Mike Malone, Arrow Pest Expert. “Homeowners should take precautions because these pests do more than leave behind itchy red bites, they can also spread diseases like West Nile Virus, Zika Virus and Chikungunya Fever.”
Needing only small amounts of standing water to breed – a bottle cap full is enough – these blood-sucking pests can develop from egg to adult in just 10-14 days. Additionally, these pests are always in search of their next meal and sense a potential target from up to 75 feet away.
To help homeowners protect themselves against mosquitoes this year, Arrow Exterminators recommends the following simple, proactive measures:
- Eliminate all sources of standing water such as children’s wading pools, birdbaths and flower pots;
- Keep rain gutters cleaned out to prevent water from standing in drains;
Cut back or get rid of unnecessary vegetation around the home where mosquitoes can breed and/or rest;
- Avoid times during the hours of dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are most active;
- Keep swimming pools covered in colder months to prevent mosquitoes from laying their eggs there, and drain any water that has collected on top of pool covers;
- Remove water that has collected in tree holes and hollow stumps;
- Screen windows and doors to prevent mosquitoes from getting inside homes; and
- Consider using yellow bug light bulbs in outdoor light fixtures – the bulbs reduce the number of flying insects around your home.
- Be sure to use insect repellant with picaridin or DEET in accordance to label directions.
Arrow protects homes from pests with the STEPS® Total Protection System™, an industry-leading approach that utilizes Integrated Pest Management (IPM). STEPS includes a full property evaluation to pinpoint pest issues; identification of not only the pest, but the true cause of the problem; and treatment in the most environmentally responsible way to alleviate current issues and to help prevent future recurrences.