DeSoto Independent School District Board of Trustees candidate filing and voting dates have been set for the 2023 Board of Trustees election scheduled for May 6, 2023.
The candidate filing period is open now through Friday, February 17, 2023.
The DeSoto ISD School Board is composed of seven trustees. As provided in DeISD Policy BBB (Local), trustees serve three-year terms and are elected by position with terms staggering a three-year cycle.
Places 3, 4 and 5 are scheduled for election this year. Trustee candidate eligibility is defined in PolicyBBB (Local).
Candidate Eligibility for Public Office (141.001, TEC) includes the following requirements:
- US Citizen
- 18 years of age or older
- Resided continuously in the state for 12 months prior to the filing deadline
- Resided continuously in the school district for 6 months prior to the filing deadline
- Must be a registered voter in the territory elected from prior to the filing deadline
- No final felony conviction
- No final judgment indicating: Totally mentally incapacitated or Partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote
Important dates related to the 2023 DeSoto ISD School Board election include the following:
- January 1, 2023 First day to apply for a ballot by mail using Application for a Ballot by Mail (ABBM) or Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)
- January 10, 2023: First day to pick up DeSoto ISD Candidate Handbook at DeSoto ISD Administration Building
- January 18, 2023: First day to File for a Place on the Ballot.
- February 17, 2023: Last day to File for a Place on the Ballot for the general election
- April 6, 2023: Last day to Register to Vote for the May 6, 2023 general election
- April 24, 2023: First day of Early Voting by Personal Appearance
- April 25, 2023: Last day to Apply for Ballot by Mail (Received, not Postmarked)
- May 2, 2023: Last day of Early Voting by Personal Appearance
- May 6, 2023: Election Day
For more information, visit http://www.desotoisd.org/board_of_trustees/elections